The Green Clover

Sunday, December 10, 2006

If you were to ever experience the joy (or excruciating pain) of sitting next to me while I unpacked my Christmas ornaments, these are some of the stories you would hear.



The beaded candy cane ornament and wreath: I made it when I was in “Indian Princesses.” It was a father-daughter group that met once a month for weekend camping trips. While my father said we could chose our own name for our “tribe,” he was horrified when I elected to call us “The Red Hot Mamas”

The glass bell: My mom got it for me when I was eight-years old and I felt so trusted and so much like an adult to have something that was so fragile. Of course, I chipped it shortly after.

The ceramic bear will a scarf and bell: My mom bought it for me when I was in boarding school in Colorado because she said it would keep me warm.

The wooden buffalo: Me and my boyfriend were driving cross-country and ended up hitting Jackson Hole, WY at 10AM. We later discovered it wasn’t the wisest idea to stop at the Cowboy Bar and have some drinks before eating breakfast. The ornament was a result of not being able to drive, so we had to wander around town until we sobered up.

Santa on the Eiffel Tower: We got that in Paris. Yes, it is cheesy, but it gets the point across.



Elvis: Picked one of them up in Graceland, the rest from all over.

Brass Unicycle: My friend’s mom bought fit or me and gave it to me at one of her Christmas parties because I used to ride (or attempt to ride) one. I use her Christmas parties as the standard.

Ferry: From my hometown in WA.

Mini stockings: my mom crocheted them when I was younger and stuck candy canes in them. She used to threatened us not to eat them but we always did.



Eggs: from my boyfriend when he was in Prague.

Velvet shoes: I bought them at Harrods in London during a summer heat wave.

Stick reindeers and santas: I purchased them when the small drugstore in my hometown closed down.

Clara: from when I took my friend and his daughter to the Nutcracker in Seattle. I bought us matching ones.



Santa in a grass skirt: from my brother the first year he lived in Hawaii.

Trust me, the list goes on and on.

My parents still have the giant cardboard star I made by gluing tried beans to it. It weighs about four pounds and one year fell off and struck our cat Smilin’ Jack in the head, who had a minor seizure and then retaliated by peeing on some of our presents.

Christmas ornaments evoke memories. They are markers in life. They have stories to tell. They let you take a moment and reflect.





Every year brings changes. Good and bad. I, like everyone else, have had many ups and downs this year. Surviving another year post Katrina, job changes, creative pursuits, injuries, relationships that have grown or fallen apart. But I am lucky that I can still pull out the Christmas tree skirt I made in ninth grade to avoid failing home-ec class AGAIN. I’ve made many skirts since then for friends and family and even though I look at the one I made and cringe, it represents a time in my life and I honor that.






You don’t need possessions for memories, but, still, I find it comforting to hold in my hand some of the ornaments my great-grandmother once held in hers. I hope one day, I can pass these ornaments and their memories onto my children.

A lot of people in New Orleans are not as lucky, which is why I encourage everyone to help out as much as they can.

The Big Easy Rollergirls are teaming up with The Arabi Wrecking Krewe and Common Ground to provide holiday decorations and toys for local families affected by Hurricane Katrina.



The Arabi Wrecking Krewe’s goal is to bring our musicians and our music back home. They have assisted thousands of local musicians, their families and extended families. They have gutted, cleared and repaired numerous homes free of charge. To better understand the unselfish commitment of these volunteers, listen to Brian Denzer from WTUL’s Community Gumbo give an interview with the krewe. If this won’t help you understand the depth of their commitment and the positive impact they have had on the community, nothing else will.
Community Gumbo Interview

For more information on AWK visit
The Arabi Wrecking Krewe


Common Ground provides short-term relief for victims of hurricane disasters in the Gulf Coast region, and long-term support in rebuilding the community affected in the New Orleans area. They are collecting toys to give to deserving children this holiday season. Please give a child an opportunity once this year to wake up to an optimistic future. For more information visit
Common Ground

Santa’s Quarters in the French Quarter is offering a special discount to people who donate to The Holiday Décor & Toy Drive. Not only do you get 15% off any item you buy in the store to donate, but 15% off your entire purchase! Please take advantage of their incredible generosity. You can also drop off any ornaments or toys at that location. They have an incredible selection of artificial Christmas trees, lights, ornaments, nativity scenes and much more. Come visit the husband and wife team who have been part of our local landscape for over thirty years.
1025 Decatur Street. Daily from 10-6
Santa’s Quarters


You can also drop off decorations and unwrapped toys at the following business locations

Tommy Crane Group, Realtors
3702 Bienville St
Monday-Friday from 8:30 to 5:00
Tommy Crane Group


Vespa of New Orleans
901 Julia Street
Tuesday to Friday from 10-6
Saturday 10-5
Vespa New Orleans


To mail tax-deductible contributions, please send them to
Big Easy Rollergirls
P.O. Box 19751
New Orleans, LA 70179
Please make your checks out to Arabi Wrecking Krewe or Common Ground (or both)! In the memo please write, “Holiday Décor and Toy Drive” or HDTD. Please get them to us by Friday, December 15th so we can get them to the families.

Of course, The Big Easy Rollergirls will have a bin set up for donations at their next bout, Saturday, December 16th at Mardi Gras World. Buy your tickets now at
Rollergirl Tickets

Please support your community by buying from local businesses and artisans. For more information on local businesses, check out Buy Local at
Buy Local

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website stats